Herman Community Park
- Public Input Survey
- PICKLEBALL RESERVATIONS
- ANNUAL POND HOCKEY
- WINTER ACTIVITY
- TENNIS INSTRUCTION
- DISC GOLF COURSE
- LOCAL EVENTS
- DONATE NOW
- Park Reservation Form
- TOWNSHIP PARKS & RECREATION PLAN 2013-2017
The Suttons Bay Township Parks and Recreation Committee|
The Parks and Recreation Committee consist of nine members. These members are volunteers who are appointed by the Township Board for varying terms. The Committee is responsible for developing the "Suttons Bay Township Community Park, Recreation and Open Space Plan". The current plan was updated on February 28, 2013 and is effective through 2017.
The current members of the Committee are:
1)Joe Bottenhorn has passions that include fly-fishing, bicycle touring, rustic camping and music. When not doing that he grows garlic and raises chickens.
2)Bill Drozdalski (chairperson), a graduate of Kent State University, is a retired Ford Motor Co. facility engineering supervisor. Bill enjoys walking, cycling, racquetball, wallyball and volleyball.
3)Kathy Egan is a graduate of the University of Michigan, majoring in Environmental Studies. She is the current Suttons Bay Township Planner. Her focus is on long term planning for parks, work, home and life. Kathy has been a township resident since 1999. Her favorite activities include hanging out with family, gardening and walking the dog.
4)Gary Hoensheid is retired from Pfizer Inc. His wife Jana is a retired School Social Worker. Son Ryan is a graduate of Michigan Tech and son Taylor is a senior at Michigan Tech. In 2009 Gary walked 30 days on an ancient Pilgrim Trail in Spain as a fund raiser for Herman Park.
5)Pete Ostrowski recently retired from Cone Drive. He was the Environmental, Health and Safety manager.He enjoys all outdoor activities, especially hiking, backpacking, cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Pete plays most net sports especially tennis and table tennis. The Leelanau Trail is a major attraction for him and he uses it as often as he can.
5)Debbie Slocombe,the current township trustee, is a degreed Landscape Architect from Purdue University. She has owned and operated Creative Designscapes for 28 years. She promotes youth sports programs and has coached youth soccer for 16 years. Debbie is also involved with showing and boarding horses.
Additionally we have a number of ad-hoc Members who have made significant contributions to the development of our Parks and Recreation. These include:
1) Richard Bahle is the Township Supervisor (as was his great grandfather). He is the fourth generation owner and employee of Bahles of Suttons Bay. Rich can usually be seen running, bicycling, kayaking or cross country skiing.
2) Barbara Nelson-Jameson is a Park Planner and Michigan program Director for the National Park Service-Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance Program. Barb's expertise has helped us with a number of successful grant applications.
3) Dr. Jerry Linenger is a retired Captain in the United States Navy Medical Corps and a former NASA Astronaut who flew on the Space Shuttle Atlantis and the Russian Space Station Mir.
4) Art Mcguff is a Licensed Professional Counselor in addition to other worthy ministries. He is considered a professional disc golf player who has established several courses as well as organizing many tournaments.